Saturday, February 26, 2011

Practicing lines before moving on to canvas

Last night I felt inspired and practiced two paintings again on canvas paper.  The paintings are on canvas paper and will be the final time I do similar ones on the paper.  Next time I will be putting them on canvas.


Title: Lines on Orange
For this one, I wanted to try the curling again.  After getting comments from a few people about the one prior on a yellow background (thanks to all who said it looked great!) someone suggested I try black lines with a yellow-orange background.  Curious myself on how it would turn out, I gave it a try.  This time, I used a thinner brush so that it would be easier making the lines.  I think, myself, it came out looking pretty good and the color came out better than I thought it would.  Looking at it now, I have already came up with a similar design but having the lines in a pattern.  What do you think?  Or should I stick to random like this one?

Gift

This is actually a gift I'm giving to someone who complimented the previous one with a more complex design entitled Greek Inspiration.  It's on a smaller piece than the original and therefore, I didn't want to put too much in a smaller space.  I also used a thinner brush than before which helped me control the paint a little more.

I have realized that I'm a little lopsided when painting mirror images on both sides of the paintings.  Also, I find that I have to keep turning the paper to paint on the right side, which is funny considering I'm right handed and usually start on the left side of the paper.  So when I flip the paper over, my hand is essentially going over wet paint!

Here is a funny tidbit about cleanup:
Usually I wipe off any left over paint from my plate into the sink and rub the rest off with my hand.  Last night, I dumped it into the kitchen sink instead of the bathroom like I usually do.  I am now the proud owner of blue and orange splattered sponges.  To dry everything I usually just leave it in my tub over night before storing everything away.

The weather is great right now.  Late winter in Atlanta is like early June in Buffalo.  I'm hoping to have some free time during the day in order to start taking nature photographs like I used to a few years ago and start posting those on here too.

So, I have no idea if people actually read the text or if the pictures of my final pieces is the only thing people look at.  So I'm wondering what you would like to see on here to read about.  By that, I mean as far as my exploration of creating art goes.  Are you interested in reading about the techniques I used or get bored with that part easily.

Finally, I couldn't resist. My two lovebugs looked absolutely adorable last night:


No comments:

Post a Comment