Friday, February 4, 2011

New Ideas at the Museum - Now to Paint Them

I think I'm going to try to post twice a week depending on how much time I have during the week.  I'm also wanting to paint more but time is just not allowing for it, which is unfortunate.

Last night, I went to an exhibit preview at a museum at which I am a member of, via a donation I made a couple months ago.  I had my reservations about going at first since I've never been to that type of event before (those I attend are usually science based as you can probably imagine) but I enjoyed myself.  And the exhibits (there were two) are really interesting, I would definitely recommend anyone in the area to go see them (especially anyone interested in African art or creatures from the ancient world).  I won't go into what is in the exhibits but if you are curious, click on the link above (the word museum) which will take you to the museum's website.  And if those types of art are not your cup of tea, they have mummies as part of their permanent collection, which is my absolute favorite thing to see at museums.

Unexpectedly, while looking at the exhibits, I came up with an idea for my next painting from two of the items on display.  I won't say much about my idea but rather keep it a surprise until I'm done.  I'll just say that the design will be a basic black with possibly a light blue background to make it look more contemporary, depending on if i can mix the paint to get the right shade I'm picturing in my mind.  If I'm successful on the canvas paper, I may even reproduce it on the actual canvas to sell at a show my mother and grandmother are doing in June since it would be nice to make back all the money I spent on supplies, and maybe be able to invest in more to keep my hobby affordable.

And sell it for cheap.  I say $10 or less for a painting on a small canvas, $15 for a medium, and maybe $20 on a large though that seems like a lot to me.  I always hate walking around the shows my mom does and see tents with paintings that are being sold for over $200.  Granted, they're good there's no doubt about that and the supplies used to make them are probably expensive but still.  I'm thinking about the typical person who goes to these and they're not looking to spend that kind of money there, though maybe some people actually do for something like that.  I guess I would rather sell more for cheaper than sell one or two for less.  But then again, these people are probably also doing this for a living or have they're things in high-end galleries for all I know.  They have business cards for taking but I usually am a looker and no buyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment