Sunday, December 26, 2010

Initial Research on Supplies

I've started to do some research on what materials I will need to get in order to start painting.  It looks like I have some choices on what types of things I can get.  For example: canvas, paints, and brushes.

Canvas
There are so many different types.  Cotton or linen, plain or duck, prepared or not.  I know I'm going to go for a prepared/prepped canvas as it's ready to just add the paint.  Even though it's more expensive it will save me time and stress of trying to prep my own.  Maybe after a few months I will try making my own.  As for cotton or linen, duck or plain, I will probably just go with what is in stock and the cheapest.  Since I'm going to be keeping at least the first few paintings for myself, I'm really not that picky.  If I decide to create paintings for friend and family presents then I might use whichever will last longer.

Paints
It looks like there are two main types one can use for canvas painting, acrylic or oil based.  From what I've gathered, oil is the more expensive and subsequently, lasts longer as a painting.  I think while just starting out, I'm going to stick with acrylic to save money (and being a grad student, I need to save where I can!) and switch to oil based after practice and to make sure I stick with painting.  In other words, in case I decide to quit after a month, I don't have a ton of expensive paints sitting around the apartment.  I haven't really figured out what colors to get and what options I will have.  I read to get black, white, and the basic colors of the color wheel.  If I recall from art class, using the three primary colors may work as I can get all the shades in between via mixing.  Of course, that requires me to master mixing the colors first!  I also have to make sure I can mix the paints as well.  I don't see why I shouldn't be able to, though I think I've read that acrylics dry faster and may be harder to mix (if anyone wants to comment on that I would appreciate advice from those with experience in the area).

Brushes
I have not the slightest idea.  That's one area I have not researched yet.  I'm thinking that I might be able to find someone in the store to help me with that.  I would also appreciate any advice on this as well.


So here is a list of things I still need to do before diving in and painting:
Determine brushes to get
Find art supply store in area (or go to Michaels)
Buy supplies necessary
Practice on paper first (suggestion from my mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment