Monday, December 27, 2010

Bought my supplies

Today I went to Michaels and bought some supplies to start my creative adventure.  What I thought would be the hardest thing to pick out, the brushes, turned out to be the easiest thing to pick out.  They had a stand with packs of brushes for acrylic paints (yes I went with the acrylics).  I chose the pack with synthetic material as opposed to the real hair (for now).

The first thing I found was the paint.  They had beginner level 1 (student), level 2 (artist), and level 3 (professional) with the price increasing for each level.  I went with level 1 and bought black, brown, yellow, blue, red, and white.  I figure any other color I can mix the colors I have (green, purple, aqua, orange, etr.)

The next aisle had the ready to paint canvases and canvas paper.  My mother, who was with me, suggested getting a pack of canvas paper to start with and canvas.  What I started with getting was a pack of 5 16x20 canvases which was on sale for $11.99 and then 2 of each 8x10 and 11x14 which were roughly $4.50 each and 10 and a pack of 10 canvas paper.  Then we came across the brushes and picked up the synthetic ones I mentioned earlier.  We then found the palettes which I bought a plastic one that had different sections for mixing.  As we continued going through the store, we found packs of both the 8x10 (pack of 10) and 11x14 (pack of 7) canvases on sale for $11.99.  Being the math person that I am, I put back the original ones in those sizes and took the packaged ones.

Easels were way too expensive (I think the cheapest there was $70 or so).  I think to begin, I'm just going to use my coffee table and if later I feel I need one then have my mother make me one.  So my total came to $82.52 after taxes which was a lot better than what I originally expected, plus I saved at least $35 with the sale prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment