Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gathering ideas at an art museum

Friday night, I went with a friend and her friend to a local art museum that was having a jazz music night.  While the band was playing, the rest of the museum was open for viewing the art (which I was thinking it better be since they charged regular admission pricing).  Since you could hear the band from any floor, we decided to look at the artwork while there.  There was mostly European  and American art in the section we were in.

As we were wandering, I was looking at the different techniques the artists had used in their paintings.  How they did their shading, how detailed they were, what feelings the background colors brought about, etr.  A lot were oil on canvas which made me happy because I'm hoping to move onto oils in a few years when I get more experienced (and money!).  It was really nice to see the differences in detail that the artist used in painting figures.  Some were very detailed and looked like a photograph.  Others just had people as the shape of an individual and looked almost like a blotting technique (I like those ones, makes me more confident that I might be able to do something decent).

There were some that had the same concept that I want to start off with.  Mainly putting different geometric shapes together with a similar color tone.  Shapes, I can do.  Realistic humans, no.

The more I think about it, the more I want to take the painting course, but the more I'm kind of nervous about it.  I mean, I know I will learn techniques that I could never learn just by reading about but, I don't know, actually having someone look at my painting is a lot different than taking a picture of it and posting it this blog. I think I should just get over my fear and go for it.

Speaking of painting, I plan to start on Friday so look for a post with pictures this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment