Friday, January 21, 2011

Freedom in art. Ready for a course?

So the semester started for me and I'm already buried in 300 pages of readings and 2 articles I have to be prepared to discuss.  Needless to say, I've been busy this week. But I guess that's what I get for being in grad school.

I did draw a picture earlier this week.  Actually a couple using sketch paper and crayola colored pencils so neither came out looking particularly amazing.  I will take a picture of the one which I did kind of like (minus the outer border I drew).  I know it sounds corny but it was an amazing feeling to draw whatever I wanted to draw, as opposed to in elementary school where you had to draw what you were told to.  Since then, the only drawing I had really done was graphs and charts for math and science classes. It was refreshing to be able to let my imagination run free and let my hand make the decisions without any thought.  I guess that's one of the reasons artists enjoy working.  The only part I didn't like about the picture was, ironically, the part that I added after the fact after thinking about it.  Clearly, I shouldn't analyze my drawings like I have to for school.

I know I said it before and it is taking me forever, but I will eventually start painting with the supplies I bought.  I'm just waiting on a paintbrush cleaner my mom is mailing me and should arrive in the next couple of days.  I think I might start with doing a geometric pattern to get my feet wet.  Just to get the painting technique down before painting an actual picture.  Plus, I would hang up something like that in my apartment so why not?

I was looking on my university's website and found a page that had continuing education classes.  Seeing a fine arts section, I looked and found a acrylic painting course for beginners.  Being that those are the paints I bought, I checked out the course details.  It's a course that's 2 hours, 1 night a week for 6 weeks (I think).  One starts next month but I think with the semester just starting it's not a good idea to do anything extra.  It's offered again in April which ends the week after exams.  Looking at my course syllabi, I'm pretty much done with everything before exams so it wouldn't be too hectic.  Its $180 but with early registration and my student status here, it comes down to $162.  I already have most, if not all the supplies so I wouldn't have to buy much more.  I'm really considering taking it.  I mean, there's no grade and if I don't get the CEU credits I really don't care.  What would I have to lose besides $162 (which my mom offered to pay)?


The drawing I did like, until I added the red on the outside....

I didn't mention it but I also attempted to draw my cat when she peaks behind a wall at me.  Needless to say, I don't think I did that good and thus stopped in the middle of it.  Sketching is definitely not a skill of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment